Archive for the tag 'Chapel'

There has been a small chapel in the north east corner of Adlington Hall since 1398. This was the year that Sir Robert de Legh was granted a licence ‘for celebration of Divine Service within the precincts of the manor’. The original Georgian Chapel was pulled down in 1928 and replaced by the current Chapel.*
*Information [...]

12 Comments CherryPie on Jul 25th 2018

After breakfast we made our way to Arundel in order to visit the castle. The lady who sold us our tickets helped us choose the most economical way to purchase tickets given that we were able to claim discounts. She advised us to visit the gardens first and then make our way to the shop [...]

8 Comments CherryPie on Jul 11th 2018

The memorial chapel on the south side, was once the chantry chapel of John Argentein. Provost 1501-1507, who was physician to Edward IV and the young Edward V and his brother, the murdered princes in the Tower. His brass lies before the altar, and in this chapel there is also a record of the Provosts [...]

10 Comments CherryPie on Dec 4th 2017

King’s College Chapel is arguably the most magnificent example of late medieval English architecture in the entire country. Guidebooks run out of superlatives to describe the richness of its interior decoration and the sumptuous flowing lines of the structural elements.
The Chapel was founded by Henry VI in 1441 as part of his grand scheme for [...]

20 Comments CherryPie on Dec 2nd 2017

This chapel was used from about 1590 until the opening of the Georgian Chapel in 1743. It contains three features, from the 16th, 17th, and 18th centuries, which illustrate the gradual easing of persecution over the century and a half. At first all ‘Massing Stuff’ had to be concealed when not in use, and so, [...]

10 Comments CherryPie on Sep 14th 2017

The upper floor of a brick building in the grounds of Harvington was converted into a chapel in 1743. The chapel is accessed by an external staircase.

In 1823 this was badly damaged by fire and the original altar of oak was destroyed, together with some chalices and other relics which had been found inside it [...]

4 Comments CherryPie on Sep 13th 2017

A licence was granted in 1331 to John de Broughton ‘for Divine service in his oratory at Broughton’. It is a rare example of a 14th century private chapel. The fixed stone altar slab supported on three solid brackets and the encaustic tiles on the floor are all of the original date.*

The chapel can be [...]

8 Comments CherryPie on Aug 25th 2017

Older Posts »