Archive for the tag 'Church'

St Angelo in ancient times, was built in a grotto and later expanded into a”Hospital” to host wanderers and pilgrims. Inside a canalization system used to direct water filtered from the rocks towards a circular well and a small holding tank. The Church is portrayed in a xylography by Mauritius Cornelius Escher.

10 Comments CherryPie on Jan 12th 2018

King’s College Chapel is arguably the most magnificent example of late medieval English architecture in the entire country. Guidebooks run out of superlatives to describe the richness of its interior decoration and the sumptuous flowing lines of the structural elements.
The Chapel was founded by Henry VI in 1441 as part of his grand scheme for [...]

20 Comments CherryPie on Dec 2nd 2017

The presence of Presbyterianism in Cambridge had dwindled through the eighteenth century. In the nineteenth century, many Scots and Irish Presbyterians began to move to the area to pursue careers in business, the professions and academia. This gave Presbyterianism in Cambridge a fresh impetus.
Until 1871, members of Cambridge colleges were required to attend worship in [...]

27 Comments CherryPie on Nov 28th 2017

This ancient parish church is an Anglo-Saxon foundation dating from around 1020, when Canute was King of England. It is dedicated to St Benedict and has been a place of Christian worship for nearly a thousand years. Michael Ramsey, who was to become Archbishop of Canterbury, was vicar here in 1938. The church was staffed [...]

10 Comments CherryPie on Nov 25th 2017

The second-oldest building in Cambridge, The Round Church was built around 1130 and is one of only four round churches in the country.
Officially named The Church of the Holy Sepulchre, Cambridge, it is thought to be architecturally inspired by the rotunda in the church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem. Since 1994 there have been [...]

12 Comments CherryPie on Nov 17th 2017

In ancient times St Maria a Gradillo Church housed the meetings of the common people who run the politic orientation of the town in opposition to the rich people who gathered in the twin Church, St. Giovanni del Toro. Inside, under the floor, it is possible to see the ancient decoration with small white and [...]

10 Comments CherryPie on Oct 30th 2017

The church situated next to Little Malvern Priory is still a house of worship, although now it is Church of England rather than Catholic.

The story of Little Malvern Priory may be said to have started with St. Benedict (A.D. 480-543). He first planted at Subiaco in central Italy the seed from which sprang the Benedictine [...]

4 Comments CherryPie on Jul 12th 2017

Older Posts »