Archive for the tag 'Wells'

Depth of friendship does not depend on length of acquaintance.
Rabindranath Tagore

10 Comments CherryPie on Aug 6th 2017

14 Comments CherryPie on May 27th 2017

12 Comments CherryPie on May 22nd 2017

The earliest part of the  Bishop’s Palace in Wells was built in 1206 by Bishop Jocelyn, who also built a two storey chapel on this site. Some years later between 1275 and 1292 Bishop Burnell used the existing foundations to change the chapel into the single storey building we see today. In the nineteenth century [...]

14 Comments CherryPie on May 20th 2017

Visitors approach the Garden of Reflection along curving paths past the well pools. The planting echoes colours and shapes of the stained glass in the palace chapel.

Within the garden they find themselves beneath the gaze of the Cathedral tower, in a green and sheltering enclosure. Beside the path is a long, curving stone seat.
a place [...]

10 Comments CherryPie on May 17th 2017

This part of the Bishop’s Palace was built in the 1400’s by Bishop Bekynton, it is the home and working offices of the Bishop of Bath & Wells.
Prior to 2011 the wells and gardens were within the bishop’s private garden.

4 Comments CherryPie on May 16th 2017

The part of the wells can be found is a complex of small pools and channels, fed by an underground river. The sluice gates regulate the flow of water into the moat and other water channels. Water can sometimes be seen bubbling up in the clear water of the wells.

Bishop Law enclose a group of [...]

4 Comments CherryPie on May 15th 2017

Older Posts »