Archive for the 'Lincoln 2015' Category

Just outside the grounds of Doddington Hall and Gardens lies St Peter’s Church.

St Peter’s Church dates back to the medieval period, and is visible in the Kipp print of 1707. In 1775, after completing the work in the Hall, John Delaval rebuilt the church in the flamboyant Gothick style, which he copied from the surviving [...]

12 Comments CherryPie on Apr 29th 2015

Remaining faithful to the original Elizabethan layout, mellow walls provide the framework for the formal East Front and West Gardens. Beyond the West Gardens begin the lovingly restored Wild Gardens. Over the generations, most recently by Antony and Victoria Jarvis and Claire and James Birch, the gardens at Doddington have been restored, cared for, nurtured [...]

12 Comments CherryPie on Apr 28th 2015

Doddington Hall is still lived in as a family home, the current owners are Claire and James Birch.

Begun in 1595 by Robert Smythson, one of England’s foremost Elizabethan Architects, Doddington Hall was completed in 1600 and has never been sold or cleared out since. An example of a fine late Elizabethan Mansion, it is still [...]

10 Comments CherryPie on Apr 25th 2015

As we walked around the cathedral to see it from all aspects I happened to look up and see this curious stone head mounted on a wall.
Look on the right just past James Street and opposite the Deanery. From out of a wall on the right of Eastgate pops a single stone head. Some say [...]

10 Comments CherryPie on Apr 24th 2015

The fine Gothic building near the West Gate was built as an administrative centre for county business and a court of law in 1826.*

It replaced an earlier court house dating from 1776, which suffered from subsidence, and which in turn replaced the old shire hall which stood in the middle of the bailey. It was [...]

6 Comments CherryPie on Apr 22nd 2015

Lincoln Castle served as a prison from the outset but earlier prison buildings within the bailey have come and gone, leaving no visible trace. The present building dates from 1788, with a Victorian extension designed by W. A. Nicholson and completed in 1848, and it remained in use until the prison was closed in 1878.
The [...]

12 Comments CherryPie on Apr 21st 2015

The Observatory Tower is built on the smaller of the two mounds that abut the south curtain wall, which is dated a little later than the Lucy Tower. Excavation through the tower floor and into the mound itself showed that the rubble core of the mound and original tower foundations had been constructed in a [...]

8 Comments CherryPie on Apr 20th 2015

« Newer Posts - Older Posts »