Archive for the 'Windsor 2022' Category

The current oak-framed building suffers from a distinct lean. It replaced an earlier building (1592) that was demolished  in 1687 to allow for the building of the Guildhall next door However there was a land dispute and eventually the new  Market Cross  was “rebuilt” in 1718 on or very close to its original location.
The original [...]

8 Comments CherryPie on Aug 2nd 2022

The present building dates from 1822 when it replaced an ancient building with Saxon arches and Norman work that was in dire need of expensive renovation. The outer walls follow the plan of the mediaeval church with old burial vaults lying beneath the present floor; retained memorials from the previous church can be [...]

10 Comments CherryPie on Jul 31st 2022

From Wiki:

A deed of 1369, now in the possession of Eton College, refers to the “gildaule”, and a charter of 1439 states that “pleas happening in the said borough … shall be pleaded and holden in the guildhall there, before the mayor and bailiffs for the time being”.[2] Norden’s map of 1607 shows a market house in [...]

6 Comments CherryPie on Jul 30th 2022

Created by King Charles II, the Long Walk was introduced in 1680 – although it was not until 1683 that the avenue was extended to its current length. The iconic Copper Horse which stands guard over the Long Walk was also a later addition.
This impressive statue, depicting King George III on horseback, was erected in [...]

8 Comments CherryPie on Jul 8th 2022

The island’s name dates from when the Ray family managed a flour mill here. Boulter’s weir is situated at one end of the small island.

The weir is the latest in a series built here over the last 600 years. Early weirs were solid banks of interwoven stakes filled with stones built across the river. No-one [...]

Comments Off CherryPie on Jul 6th 2022

Situated near to Boulter’s Lock and the nearby Ray Mill Island is the Boulter’s telephone Kiosk.

This kiosk was installed on this site in 1926, the year Her Majesty Queen Elisabeth II was born, and remained here until 1979 when the Post Office found it uneconomical to maintain as it was in a state of needing [...]

4 Comments CherryPie on Jul 5th 2022

Located on Windsor High Street next to the Guild Hall is a green hexagonal Penfold post box.

This broke the standard pattern and so in 1866 the Post Office again produced a standard letter box. This time the box was designed by J W Penfold and came in three sizes. Problems were encountered with some of [...]

4 Comments CherryPie on Jul 4th 2022

« Newer Posts - Older Posts »