Crazy Hair Lady

The bed and quilt were soft and cosy which led to a very good night’s sleep. The breakfast was delicious, although the choices arrived in a strange order. My cooked breakfast items arrived at the same time as Mr C’s porridge. The toast arrived after my breakfast meaning there was no toast for my bacon and tomato, which I intended to have on top of the toast. The toast arrived after I had finished my breakfast.

After breakfast we checked the weather forecast before deciding whether to travel north into Scotland or south towards Cragside. The weather looked more favourable in the south so in bright sunshine we set off towards Cragside. As we travelled I noticed an unusual sight of many large birds dead on the road; I think they were birds of prey rather than partridges. I found it quite upsetting.  We travelled over open moorland where the wind was strong. The high sided vehicle in front of us was swaying from side to side and veering all over the road.  We passed Cragside in order to visit the town of Rothbury first.

In Rothbury we visited a shoe shop and Regatta outdoor clothing shop and reminisced about a ladies clothes shop (no longer there) of which we have fond memories. Whilst we were in Rothbury the wind became a bit stronger but in intermittent gusts as it had been on our visit to Bamburgh the previous day. We made our way to Cragside and found that it was closed due to to Storm Ali. I was annoyed with myself for not checking to see if was open before we travelled.

Where the Wind Blows

We decided to visit nearby Chillingham Castle, arriving a little too early for the gates to be open. We drove around the corner in order to consider our options. By this stage the wind had become violent. We decided to turn towards Berwick and perhaps Paxton House or the Chain Bridge Honey Farm. As we headed back, the gates to Chillingham, were now open and we had a momentary waver before deciding to stick with our new plan. We were really uncomfortable with the way the trees were blowing in the narrow country lanes. I watched some telephone wires swinging wildly in the wind and made sure they were not power cables.

St Cuthbert

As we drove towards Berwick, the roads were littered with more birds and also tree debris. At one point near Chillingham, a branch got stuck under Mr C’s car causing us top stop to remove it. We were also turned back due to a fallen tree blocking the road. Travelling through the country lanes to the nearest main road was quite alarming; I have never experienced winds so strong that trees were whipping around violently and bending fully across the country lanes. We were relieved when we got back onto a main road but even then conditions were not pleasant and something fell from a tree and clunked on the top of Mr C’s car.

Considering the extreme weather conditions, we aborted all plans and headed into Berwick to have lunch in in a tea shop that was run by the former business owners of accommodation we have used on previous visits to Northumberland. We were rather hassled when we arrived, especially because at that moment Mr C realised he didn’t have his mobile phone and wondered if he had dropped it whilst removing the stuck branch from beneath his car. For lunch I chose an open crab sandwich; it was delicious!

Windswept Tree

Layers of Cloud

By the time we had finished lunch, the wind had whipped itself up into a complete frenzy, making it difficult to walk back to the car. We returned to the hotel, passing debris and fallen branches along the way. As we travelled we noticed an ominous brown mist/cloud. We realised that it was the top soil being blown off farmers fields.

Dust Storm

Back at the hotel we retired to our room to play one of the board games I had packed just in case… The surface of the quilt made it difficult to play the game due to the pieces sliding into each other. The weather didn’t improve and, on occasions, the floorboards in the room were moving so we dined in the hotel rather than go out as we had intended.

After dinner we had a chat with a fisherman who owns a nearby holiday property where he stays during the fishing season. He considers the Collingwood Arms his local even though his main home is many miles south of it. I know what he means; this area of Northumberland feels like home to me too, I felt it the first time I visited the area.

10 Comments CherryPie on Oct 8th 2018

10 Responses to “Jesmond Dene & Cornhill – Day Four”

  1. Astrid says:

    That such a good start of the day ended by almost being blown off the road… Amazing how to see that the top soil is even blown away. I have a deep respect for wind, I never take my changes.

  2. Alan says:

    Now I like my breakfast in the same order that it was served. I like my toast served warm with my cuppa after I’ve had the bacon and eggs, etc. I know your forestation with the wind as I had similar around a year ago when the grounds of Stowe were closed because of the wind. I did find a rear entrance to the estate, though and sneaked in to enjoy the grounds. part from being hit on the head by a leaf, I remain unscathed,

    • CherryPie says:

      Yes I prefer my toast after apart from one piece with the meal. Usually the places I go serve it before, but here it was quite unpredictable you could never quite tell when it was coming.

  3. Look at that rainbow! :)

    Honestly, I don’t remember much about Bamburgh Castle.
    But I remember walking a long way to Holy Island.

    Oh yea, Edinburgh was my stomping ground.
    I wore a kilt to my graduation too :) Ha!

    • CherryPie says:

      The rainbow was a delight, unfortunately I was in a car and had limited options for capturing a photo.

      I have only travelled to Holy Island by car. I love that drive but I expect a walk is even better :-)

      Which Tartan did you wear?

  4. The Yum List says:

    You captured a rainbow!

  5. Shabana says:

    Oh such beautiful lashing place Cherie!

    sorry that wind caused you such problem but at least you stayed safe and managed to the road