Woodhenge was built in about 2500 BC and revealed by aerial photographs taken in 1925 to be a leveled henge.
The bank and internal ditch enclose a circular area about 50m (160ft) in diameter with a single entrance facing north-east. Shortly after its discovery the site was excavated by Maud Cunnington Her work revealed that within the interior lay six concentric circles of pits, varying considerably in size and having originally held large upright oak timbers. Because of the similarity of this plan to that of Stonehenge, the site became known as Woodhenge. Woodhenge did gain some stones, assumed to be sarsens, late in its life, but they were subsequently removed.
From the ground plan, these timber circles (like those at Durrington Walls) are difficult to interpret. The upright timbers may have stood in the open air, either plain or highly decorated. They may have been linked together by horizontal beams to create a wooden version of Stonehenge or may even have been the framework for a huge building.*
*From English Heritage Guidebooks – Stonehenge, step into England’s story, published 2013