Clun castle was built in the late 11th century to proclaim Norman dominance over this part of the Welsh Marches. It later became home to the Fitzalans, and important ruling family.
After the Norman Conquest in 1066, the border between Wales and England remained an usettled area. William the Conqueror granted lands here to his followers to defend the border. These men became the powerful marcher lords, ruling their lands independently of royal control.
One of them, Picot de Say, is thought to have built the castle, high on a natural spru guarding the Clun valley. In 1155, the castle passed by marriage of Isabella de Say to William Fitzalan, and was owned by the powerful Fitzalan family for the next 400 years.
Clun was at the centre of a vast lordship know as the honour of Clu, over which the Fitzalans excercised unlimited authority, administering a mixture of Welsh and English law.*
*From a signboard by the castle remains